Do Adults Need Fluoride Treatments?
It is a common perception that fluoride treatments are only for children. So, when the dentist recommends fluoride treatment to adult patients, a common reaction is, “Do I need to take the fluoride treatment?” This is because most insurance plans cover the cost of fluoride treatments for people up to the age of 18. In this article, Dr. Fardi Farhat, a dentist in Sterling Heights, MI answers, “Do adults need fluoride treatments?”
Is Fluoride Treatment Really Effective for Adults?
Research studies have shown that the topical application of fluoride by a dentist has a significant and positive impact. This is especially the case for adults who have a moderate to high risk of developing cavities.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatment in Different Conditions
Consider these circumstances when you’re debating a fluoride treatment from your dentist in Sterling Heights.
- There are many prescription medications that reduce the production of saliva in your mouth or create dryness in your mouth. This puts you at the risk of developing cavities. In such an instance, a fluoride treatment can help keep your teeth fight off cavities.
- Many adults have gum recession, which leads to the exposure of your teeth’s roots. These softer areas are more susceptible to tooth decay. Through professional fluoride treatment, the protective layer of your teeth can be restored, saving your smile from decay.
- Adults often undergo restorative dental treatments, such as crowns, and bridges etc. The fluoride treatments help protect and fill the restoration margins.
- We asked out friend Dr. Taher Dhoon, a dentist in Greeley, CO about fluoride treatments for adults undergoing orthodontic treatments, such as braces. Dr. Dhoon says that the application of braces makes it difficult to maintain a healthy oral state. He recommended fluoride treatments so your teeth remain strong and free of cavities.
- Having tooth restoration treatment places you at the higher risk of developing cavities. The fluoride treatments, in contrast, help prevent cavities in patients who are already vulnerable to cavities.
- If you are not flossing your teeth daily, then you are unlikely to have optimal oral hygiene. With fluoride treatment that lack of flossing can be compensated and save your teeth from cavities and decay.
- Fluoride is also helpful for people with sensitive teeth. It helps to re-mineralize the tooth enamel, thus reducing sensitivity.
- Cancer patients who undertake radiation treatment can also take advantage of fluoride treatments offered at Dental One Care. Radiation treatment damages saliva glands, which significantly reduces the production of saliva in the mouth. This places patients at a higher risk of developing cavities. Fluoride treatments can rescue cancer patients from cavities.
If you too feel that you are suffering from any of those conditions, consider a fluoride treatment from Dental One Care. Dr. Farhat is an expert and professional dentist in Sterling Heights, MI. He will advise you after an oral examination whether or not you are the right candidate for fluoride treatment.